Hull FC just come up short, as Wigan edge academy thriller

Academy Under 19 League Season Spilt – Group One – Round Five – Saturday 11th July – Hull 20 Wigan 22 – Hull YPI, Chanterlands Avenue

Hull FC’s much talented Under-19 team almost came back from 18-4 down to snatch victory from league leaders Wigan, who must consider themselves very fortunate to return to Lancashire with a slender two point victory.

A Jake Shorrocks penalty just before the half time whistle ultimately proved the difference, as controversy surrounded what was – in all honesty – a thoroughly enjoyable, high standard rugby league match – despite the frustration of some crucial and certainly indecisive calls from the match official.

Ironically, Wigan based referee Liam Moore was at the heart of it, denying a stonewall Jansin Turgut try in Hull’s second half fightback, deeming the back rower to be held up, despite the approval of the touch judge, and every Tom, Dick and Harry in attendance.

That, and with Wigan’s impressive ability to make ground at ease on a constant basis proved the catalyst for their victory – and despite the dubious calls on show, the visitors were good value for it. Grand Final winners of the past two seasons, Hull admirably stuck with them for the majority of an evenly matched tussle – giving another example of their growing evolution in a sometimes brutal contest.

Under-19 Hull FC Wigan

Though it was the young Warriors who struck first, and following a penalty on the first set impressive centre Oliver Gildart was on hand to beat his opposite man Connor Bower for the opening score. Wigan clearly on top in this period made their momentum count, as a neat last tackle play was polished off by fullback Gabriel Fell for a 10-0 lead.

Hull – at least early on – struggled for field position, as chances were limited, and it took Callum Lancaster’s devastating speed to register them on the board. Clearly boosted by such an effort, Hull upped through the gears and were unlucky that a borderline Reece Dean pass was judged to have been called forward.

It came at a cost as Hull’s player of the season to date suffered a nasty looking ankle injury from the same pass, with Dean hospital bound and Wigan within strike range. They didn’t disappoint, with Macauley Davis earning his side’s third score. Classy half back Jake Shorrocks then added the conversion, and a further penalty for an 18-4 half time lead.

Under-19s Reece Dean Injury

As has been the case in recent weeks Jez Litten’s introduction from the bench sparked Hull to another level, with the interchange pivot delivering a performance full of class in yet another astonishing display.

His influence ignited a role reversal of the first half as Hull started the brighter, kick-starting their comeback with prolific winger Callum Lancaster grabbing his second try of the afternoon – and sixth in a three game spell since returning from injury.

Such an effort was put on a plate thanks to highly thought of half back Harry Tyson-Wilson’s quick thinking, with a one on one ball steal opening the way for an easy looking score. Harry’s impact was growing, as he really stood up in an outstanding individual performance.

Under 19s Tyson-Wilson

A perfectly weighted lead pass from Tyson-Wilson to towering back rower Matty Liggins furthered the comeback, with the half back again converting to put his side within four points. Hull much the better side at this stage looked worthy of mounting a claim for victory, but a sucker punch error deep in their own half proved crucial.

Oliver Gildart darted his way to the line from the resulting scrum, competing his fifth score against Hull at this level this season – with a further first grade effort notched up against the Black and Whites whilst on loan at Salford too. Gildart looks a very assured player, and is certainly one to watch out for in the future, if not the immediate present.

Though Hull to their credit refused to let such a setback blow their charge, and should have been awarded a try in the main talking point of the match. Jansin Turgut was wrongly ruled held up as Wigan escaped with their tails behind their back.

callum lancaster under 19s

The hosts however kept knocking on the door – despite a second injury of the day, this time to Callum Lancaster. With their interchange options limited Jez Litten moved to fullback, and it was his quite brilliant break that put Jansin Turgut under the sticks for an outstanding try.

No questions about the grounding this time Hull were within two points, as their comeback was mounting. Harry Tyson-Wilson then had the opportunity to level the scores from the tee, but his penalty goal effort rebounded off the post, with Wigan dropping out and Hull with one last opportunity.

The Warriors though managed to hold on despite the hosts throwing everything at them in a brave and spirted comeback, and one Hull should take a lot of confidence from.

Under 19s Hull FC Wigan

Hull Starting XIII: 1. Jack Sanderson, 2. Mike Adlard, 3. Connor Bower, 4. Callum Smith, 5. Callum Lancaster, 6. Harry Tyson-Wilson, 7. Reece Dean, 8. Joel Marquez-Laynez, 9. Brad Harrison, 10. Masimbaashe Matongo, 11. Jansin Turgut, 12. Matty Liggins, 13. Brad Clavering. Interchange: 14. Ross Osborne, 15. Charlie Weaver, 16. Jez Litten, 17. Josh Wood.

Hull Tries: Lancaster 2, Liggins, Turgut.  Goals: Dean 0/1, Tyson-Wilson 2/4

Wigan Starting XIII: 1. Garbriel Fell, 2. Liam Marshall, 3. Oliver Gildart, 4. Liam Forsyth, 5. Jack Higginson, 6. Jake Shorrocks, 7. Lewis Heckford, 8. Paddy Jones, 9. Luke Waterworth, 10. Brad Lawrence, 11. Nick Gregson, 12. Macauley Davies, 13. Kyle Shelford. Interchange: 14. Josh Ganson, 15. Callum Field, 16. Kirean Sherratt, 17. Jack Wells.

Wigan Tries: Gildart 2, Fell, Davies. Goals: Shorrocks 3/5

Referee: Liam Moore (Wigan)

Author Image
About Dan Tomlinson 1541 Articles
Editor of Up the Cream. Once upon a time I looked like my profile pic.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.